Southern Chicken and Dumplings
You will need:
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 onion, diced
- 3 large bone-in chicken breast halves with skin
- 1 (32 ounce) can chicken broth
- 3 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 tablespoon baking powder
- 1.5 teaspoons salt
- 1/3 cup vegetable shortening, plus
- 2 tablespoons vegetable shortening
- 3/4 cup milk
- 1 (10.75 ounce) can condensed cream of chicken soup
- 2 cups water
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
Are you still with me?
- Melt the butter in a large pot over medium heat.
- Stir in the onion, and cook until the onion has softened and turned translucent, about 5 minutes.
- Place the chicken breasts into the pot, skin-side-down.
- Pour in the chicken broth, and enough water to just cover the breasts.
- Bring to a simmer over high heat, then reduce heat to medium-low, cover, and simmer until the chicken begins to fall off the bone, about 1 hour.
- Once cooked, remove the chicken breasts from the pot.
- Remove and discard the skin and bone; allow the meat to cool, then tear apart into bite sized chunks.
- While the chicken breast are simmering, prepare the dumpling dough by whisking the flour, baking powder, and 1.5 teaspoons of salt together in a mixing bowl.
- Work the vegetable shortening in with your fingers until the mixture resembles coarse cornmeal.
- Make a well in the middle and pour in the milk.
- Stir together until a stiff dough forms.
- Turn out onto a floured surface, and knead until smooth.
- Form the dough into 12 pieces, and set aside.
- After you've shredded the chicken, stir the cream of chicken soup, 2 cups water, salt, pepper, and shredded chicken back into the pot.
- Return to a simmer over medium-high heat. Drop the dumplings into the simmering broth one at a time to keep them from sticking together.
- Cover, reduce heat to medium-low, and simmer until the dumplings have puffed and are no longer doughy in the center, 10 to 20 minutes.
I hope you all have a magnificent evening. Enjoy your new recipe and remember, don't over-stuff yourself! I will catch you all tomorrow. Happy blogging everyone!