Wednesday, November 5, 2014

Pretzel Dogs

Good afternoon foodies and friends! Today we will be conquering one of my favorite snacks, pretzel dogs. I used to be such a mall rat in my younger days. My first job was at the mall in the arcade. My best friend worked at the mall with me. I used to love going to the pretzel shoppe to buy delicious pretzel dogs! Who didn't?! To me, I cannot go mall shopping without stopping to buy pretzels or pretzel dogs. It's an absolute MUST.

Now that I'm older, wiser, and can cook on my own, I've decided to make my own delicious pretzel dogs. Are you up for the task of baking with me? If so, grab your aprons, your food mixer, and your pots! I'll meet you in the kitchen!



Pretzel Dogs
Yields 16 Dogs



You will need:


  • 1.5 cups warm water
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 Tbsp. yeast
  • 3.5 cups flour
  • 1 tsp Salt
  • ½ cup baking soda
  • 4 tablespoons butter, melted
  • 8 hot dogs, cut in half
  • salt


Ready?



  1. In the bowl of a stand mixer, whisk together warm water, sugar, and yeast.
  2. Fit your mixer with a dough hook attachment. 
  3. Add flour and salt to the bowl. 
  4. Mix on medium-low speed until smooth. 
  5. Allow to rest for 10 minutes.
  6. Divide the dough into 16 equal sized pieces. 
  7. Roll each piece into a long log (about 8 inches long). 
  8. Wrap a rolled piece of dough around one hot dog half and pinch the ends together to keep it from unraveling. 
  9. Repeat with remaining dough and hot dogs. 
  10. Allow to rest while you prepare the next steps.
  11. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. 
  12. Grease a large baking sheet with cooking spray. 
  13. Bring a large pot of water to boil (about 6-8 cups). 
  14. Add baking soda to water (Be careful, it will bubble up!)
  15. Use a slotted spoon to place dough-wrapped hot dogs in the boiling water (do 4 at a time). 
  16. Allow to boil for 30 seconds. 
  17. Remove with slotted spoon and place on a paper towel.
  18. Once all hot dogs have boiled, place them all on the prepared baking sheet. 
  19. Brush melted butter over the hot dogs. 
  20. Sprinkle with sea salt to taste. 
  21. Bake about 15 minutes or until dough is golden brown.



Thanks for joining me today. I'll be back as soon as possible with another delicious recipe for everyone to try! I'll catch y'all on the flip side. Have a great day!


-Mandie