Tuesday, November 11, 2014

Peanut Brittle

Good evening friends and bloggers! I'm sorry about my absence. We had an emergency over the weekend which landed my 5 month old in the hospital with a double ear infection and a mysterious case of pneumonia. By "mysterious", I mean he never ran a fever, never showed any symptoms, nada. My little man is doing much better now, and I'm back with a sweet treat for everyone for sticking around. I must state that this recipe CONTAINS NUTS. If you have a peanut allergy, I would suggest checking out some of our other amazing sweet treats that might be a better pick for you. The links are below.

Snickerdoodle Cookies

Almond Roca

Christmas Season: Candy Mania!

Okay bakers and food enthusiasts, let's meet back in the kitchen with our handy dandy sauce pans and baking sheets. In no time at all, we'll have ourselves a very sweet, very scrumptious candy that will last for up to 10 days in an airtight container, and possibly even longer in the freezer! I'll meet you all there!



Peanut Brittle



You will need:


  • 1 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 cup peanuts
  • 1/2 cup light corn syrup
  • 1/4 cup water
  • 2 tablespoons unsalted butter, softened
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • Candy thermometer


Ready?



  1. Grease a large baking sheet. 
  2. Put your baking soda, vanilla extract and butter into three separate bowls and place by work area.
  3. In a large saucepan (2-4 quarts) over medium heat, combine the water, corn syrup, salt and sugar. 
  4. Stir until the sugar is dissolved and the liquid is completely clear, then add the peanuts and stir to incorporate fully. Make sure to have a candy thermometer in place to gauge temperature.
  5. Stir frequently until the temperature reaches 300 degrees F (150 degrees C). 
  6. Remove from heat and quickly mix in the butter, baking soda and vanilla. 
  7. The mixture will begin to bubble and foam up.
  8. Immediately pour onto baking sheet. 
  9. Using two forks or wearing gloves, pull the mixture into a large rectangle; try to pull it as thinly as possible.
  10. Let cool, then break into pieces.
  11. Enjoy!





Now that everything has calmed down, I'll be back very soon with yet another delicious recipe. Thank you for joining me tonight, and I hope you have a blast sharing this recipe with friends and family! I'll catch you all on the flip side! Happy blogging!


-Mandie