Monday, November 17, 2014

French Onion Chicken Sandwiches

Hello my loyal foodies! In our last post, I mentioned the possibility of a dinner recipe in our next entry. Well, here we are, and I've come prepared. If any of you know me personally, or have followed this blog for a while, you will know of my love for both chicken AND onions. I love all sorts of onions, sauteed, caramelized, red, white, big, small. The options are limitless. I also have a love relationship with sandwiches. If you're interested in seeing some of our other sandwich entries, please visit the following links:


Crispy Salmon, Bacon, and Avocado Sandwiches

Muffuletta

Caramel Shrimp Banh Mi


Okay lovelies, I'm ready to get this recipe rolling. When you're ready, feel free to meet me in the kitchen with your stove-top grill (or we can go outside and crank up the handy dandy full sized grill for those of you rebels willing to brave the cold!) and we can get started. I'll meet you all there!




French Onion Chicken Sandwiches
Yields 4 Servings




You will need:



  • 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
  • 1 large white onion, thinly sliced
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 2 boneless, skinless chicken breasts, halved crosswise and pounded to 1-inch thickness
  • 4 slices Swiss cheese
  • 4 hamburger buns
  • 2 cups baby spinach


Ready?




  1. In large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. 
  2. Add onion and sugar; cook 25 minutes or until onions are deeply caramelized, stirring frequently. 
  3. Preheat grill for direct grilling over medium-high heat. 
  4. Spray chicken with nonstick spray. 
  5. Transfer chicken to hot grill rack; cover and cook 10 minutes or until chicken loses its pink color throughout and internal temperature reaches 160 degrees F, turning once.
  6. Place cheese slices on chicken pieces. 
  7. Cover and cook 1 to 2 minutes or until cheese is melted and golden brown. 
  8. Build sandwiches using hamburger buns, spinach, chicken and caramelized onions.





I'll be back as soon as possible. This week will be super busy for me. Tomorrow is my 5 year anniversary, so I may or may not be around. If I'm not around, I will be back on Wednesday after I get home from work and complete my school work. Anyway, hang in there, and I'll be back as soon as possible. Happy blogging, and I'll catch you on the flip side!


-Mandie