Okay trusty food loving people, grab those dutch ovens and I'll meet you in the kitchen!
Mexican Chicken Casserole
Yields 8 Servings
You will need:
- 1 cup fat-free, less-sodium chicken broth
- 2 (4.5 ounce) cans chopped green chiles, divided
- 1.75 pounds skinned, boned chicken breasts
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 1 cup chopped onion
- 1 cup evaporated skim milk
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1/4 cup tub-style light cream cheese
- 1 (10-ounce) can enchilada sauce
- 12 (6-inch) corn tortillas
- Cooking spray
- 1/2 cup (2 ounces) shredded reduced-fat extra-sharp cheddar cheese
- 1 ounce tortilla chips, crushed
- Combine broth and 1 can of chiles in a large skillet; bring to a boil.
- Add chicken; reduce heat, and simmer 15 minutes or until chicken is done, turning chicken once.
- Remove chicken from cooking liquid, reserving cooking liquid; cool chicken.
- Shred meat with two forks, and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Heat oil in a large nonstick skillet over medium-high heat.
- Add 1 can of chiles and onion; sauté 3 minutes or until soft.
- Add reserved cooking liquid, milk, Monterey Jack, cream cheese, and enchilada sauce; stir well.
- Stir in shredded chicken; cook 2 minutes.
- Remove from heat.
- Place 4 tortillas in the bottom of a 2-quart casserole coated with cooking spray.
- Spoon 2 cups chicken mixture over tortillas.
- Repeat layers twice, ending with chicken mixture.
- Sprinkle with cheddar cheese and chips.
- Bake for 30 minutes or until thoroughly heated.
- Let stand 10 minutes before serving.
Well ladies and gents, I hope you enjoy this recipe. I know that since Iv'e been so busy, this recipe is a must for me. It looks like a lot of steps, but it's really not. Everything runs together to make for one quick recipe. I'll be back hopefully tomorrow with another recipe for y'all. Have a great evening, and I'll catch you all on the flip side!