Beef Stew with Ghoulish Mashed Potatoes
You will need:
- 2 pounds beef stew meat, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 1 pound fresh mushrooms, halved
- 2 cups fresh baby carrots
- 2 medium parsnips, peeled, halved lengthwise and sliced
- 2 medium onions, chopped
- 1.5 cups beef broth
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 2 garlic cloves, minced
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cloves
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- 8 medium potatoes, peeled and cubed
- 2/3 cup sour cream
- 6 tablespoons butter, cubed
- 1 teaspoon salt, divided
- 1 cup frozen peas
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons water
- In a 5 quart slow cooker, combine the first 11 ingredients.
- Cover and cook on low for 8 to 9 hours or until beef and vegetables are tender.
- About 30 minutes before serving, place potatoes in a large saucepan and cover with water.
- Bring to a boil.
- Reduce heat, then cover and simmer for 15 to 20 minutes or until tender. Drain and return the potatoes to the pan, then add the sour cream, butter and 1/2 teaspoon salt.
- Mash until smooth.
- Set aside 12 peas for garnish.
- Add the remaining peas to the slow cooker, and increase heat to high.
- In a bowl, whisk the flour, water and remaining salt until smooth and stir into stew.
- Cover and cook for 5 minutes or until thickened.
- Divide the stew among six bowls.
- Place mashed potatoes in large resealable plastic bag and cut a 2 inch hole in one corner.
- Pipe ghost potatoes onto the stew and garnish with the reserved peas.
I hope you all have a wicked afternoon. I will catch you on the lfip side and I promise to come baring Halloween treats for you and your family to enjoy! Happy blogging to all! <3