You will need:
- 1 red onion, sliced thin
- 3 habanero peppers, sliced
- 10 limes, juiced
- salt to taste
- 3 ounces dried guajillo chile peppers, seeded and de-veined
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 3 pounds boneless pork shoulder, cut into 1 inch cubes
- 3 cups fresh orange juice
- 1 cup white vinegar
- 1 bulb garlic, peeled
- 7.5 ounces achiote paste
- Combine the onion, habanero peppers, lime juice, and salt in a bowl, then cover and refrigerate while preparing and cooking the pork.
- Use rubber gloves when preparing the habanero peppers and avoid touching your eyes, nose, or skin while slicing peppers.
- Place the guajillo peppers in a bowl and pour enough hot water over the peppers to cover.
- Allow the peppers to soak until they are softened, about 10 minutes.
- Heat the oil in a large skillet at medium-high heat.
- Season the pork with salt and pepper and cook in the hot oil until completely browned, 15 to 20 minutes.
- Transfer the pork to a slow cooker.
- Combine the guajillo peppers, orange juice, vinegar, garlic, and achiote paste in a blender, then blend until smooth.
- Pour the sauce over the pork cubes in the slow cooker.
- Cook on High until the pork easily falls apart, 6 to 8 hours.
- Remove the pork to a serving dish and shred with 2 forks.
- Pour the achiote sauce over the shredded pork.
- To serve, top with the onion-habanero salsa.
I thank you all for joining me today. I hope you all have an excellent Saturday with your families. I'll catch you all on the flip side. Happy blogging to all! <3