Thursday, January 1, 2015

Sweet Potato Bacon Breakfast Skillet

Good evening my foodie friends! I decided to take the holiday off yesterday, for obvious reasons. It was my son's first New Year's and I wanted to spend it with him. My niece and nephew were over as well. It was a very packed house! I'm not quite sure the kids realized that it was a holiday, but they had a blast anyway.

When we woke up this morning, we were super hungry. If I had time, I would have made this meal to ring in the New Year. I think this is a great breakfast to enjoy on the weekends, or if you want it any other time. It's hearty and warm. It will leave you feeling full and happy. I've made a version of this before and I highly recommend letting your taste buds revel in delight! Now, grab those aprons and I'll meet you in the kitchen. Oh, and don't forget to grab your cast iron skillet!



Sweet Potato Bacon Breakfast Skillet
Yields 4 Servings





You will need:



  • 12 ounces of bacon, cut into 1-inch pieces
  • Additional bacon fat, lard, ghee, or coconut oil
  • 5 cups diced sweet potatoes
  • 4 cups diced zucchini
  • 1 cup chopped onion
  • 1 red bell pepper, chopped
  • 6 large eggs
  • Black pepper to taste




Ready?






  1. In a 12-inch cast iron skillet, cook the bacon pieces over medium-low heat until crisp.
  2. Use a slotted spoon to remove the cooked bacon from the pan. 
  3. Set aside. 
  4. There should be enough rendered bacon fat to coat the entire bottom of the skillet, about 1/8 inch deep. 
  5. If your bacon didn't render this much fat, add additional bacon fat, lard, ghee, or coconut oil to your skillet until there is 1/8 inch of fat.
  6. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  7. Increase heat to medium-high and carefully place the diced sweet potatoes in the hot oil. 
  8. Cook the sweet potatoes without stirring until the bottom of the cubes start to turn golden brown. 
  9. Stir and cook until the cubes just start to soften.
  10. Increase heat to high and add the zucchini, onion, and bell pepper to the skillet. 
  11. Cook until the vegetables are just starting to soften.
  12. Stir in bacon pieces. 
  13. Remove from heat.
  14. Make 6 wells in the potato and veggie mixture; break one egg into each well.
  15. Place skillet in the oven and bake for 9 to 14 minutes, or until the eggs are set. 
  16. Serve immediately.





So, I'll be back soon. I'm going to use the new year as an excuse to start spacing out my posts a little bit. It's beginning to get a bit harder to take time daily to post new blog entries. I am by no means neglecting y'all. I'm just taking a bit more time to focus on studies and my family. I'll be back either tomorrow or the day after, so stay tuned for a delicious entry coming your way! Have a great night and I'll be back soon!



~Mandie