Saturday, January 17, 2015

Coconut Chicken Tenders and Lemon Herb Roasted Potatoes

Good evening foodies and friends! Tonight, we will be making a complete dinner -- Yes, a complete dinner, sides and all. When I saw these recipes, I instantly thought of my baby sister, and the young woman I work for. Both of these lovely ladies enjoy coconut, probably more than I even know about. I really love coconut as well, so this dinner just kind of fell together. Now if you were to go ask anyone who knows me, I'm a meat and potatoes kinda gal. I'm of Irish descent, so it's second nature to me to have these things in my life. Before we begin, I must preface by stating that you should probably start with the potatoes before the chicken. They take a bit longer to cook than the chicken, but to each their own. I hope you all enjoy this meal, and I will meet you in the kitchen!




Lemon Herb Roasted Potatoes
Yields 4 to 6 Servings



You will need:



  • 6 to 8 large sized russet potatoes, peeled and cut into 2-inch chunks
  • Juice of one lemon
  • 1/4 to 1/3 cup olive oil 
  • 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon cracked black pepper
  • 1.5 tablespoons dried oregano, thyme and rosemary
  • 1 whole garlic bulb broken into 4 pieces



Ready?




  1. Parboil the potatoes in salted water for about 3 to 4 minutes, no longer.
  2. Meanwhile in a 375 degree oven, heat a baking pan of sufficient size to hold your potatoes without crowding them. 
  3. After parboiling, drain the potatoes and let them stand for 5 minutes. 
  4. Toss the potatoes with the lemon juice.
  5. Add the salt, pepper, herbs, garlic cloves and olive oil.
  6. Transfer the seasoned potatoes, garlic and oil to the hot baking pan. 
  7. Roast the potatoes for about 60 to 75 minutes or until they are nicely golden brown all over, turning them every 20 minutes or so. After the first 10 minutes, give the pan a shake to make sure the potatoes are not stuck to it.
  8. Serve and enjoy!




~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~


Coconut Chicken Tenders
Yields 6 Servings



You will need:


  • 1 cup vegetable oil
  • 2 pounds boneless, skinless chicken breasts, cut into strips
  • Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1 teaspoon soy sauce
  • 1 teaspoon Sriracha
  • 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground ginger
  • 1.5 cups Original Bisquick™ mix
  • 1 cup shredded sweetened coconut
  • 2 tablespoons chopped fresh cilantro leaves



Ready?




  1. Heat vegetable oil in a large skillet over medium high heat.
  2. Season chicken with salt and pepper, to taste.
  3. In a large bowl, whisk together eggs, soy sauce, Sriracha, garlic powder, ginger and 2 tablespoons water. 
  4. In another large bowl, combine Bisquick mix and coconut.
  5. Working one at a time, dip chicken into egg mixture, then dredge in Bisquick mixture, pressing to coat.
  6. Working in batches, add chicken to the skillet, 3 or 4 at a time. 
  7. Cook until evenly golden and crispy, about 3 to 4 minutes on each side. 
  8. Transfer to a paper towel-lined plate.
  9. Serve immediately, garnished with cilantro.
  10. Enjoy!





I apologize for the long wait for this post. It's been one crazy week to say the least! I assure you that I will do my best to be back sometime this week, so stay tuned. I hope y'all have a great weekend, and I'll see you all soon. Happy blogging, and I'll catch you on the flip side.


~Mandie