Thursday, January 8, 2015

Slow Cooker Chili

Good evening my foodie loving followers! Welcome to another delicious entry to The Tasteful Texan. As the name states, I reside in Texas. Southern Texas to be exact. San Antonio to get even more specific. We normally don't have very cold winters, but this year is proving different. We've been facing frigid 30 degree weather, which for us Southerners is like living in Alaska... I also work out in the country where it gets even colder! I must be insane, right? Kind of, but then again, I was born in Alaska so I'm sure I can cope better than natural born Texans.

Anyway, the frosty weather prompted me to decide on this recipe. I love coming home to my apartment smelling like delicious, hot dinner. Yes folks, we are whipping out our crock pots! I love recipes like this. I enjoy letting my food cook itself while I shuffle off to frozen-land. I'm really excited about this recipe because who can say no to chili? I can think of no one. Now grab those crock pots and I'll meet you in the kitchen! Allons-y! (That's French for "Let's go!")




Slow Cooker Chili
Yields 6 Servings



You will need:



  • 1 tablespoon olive oil
  • 2 pounds lean ground beef
  • 1 large yellow onion, finely chopped
  • 3 cloves of garlic, finely minced
  • 2 (14.5) oz cans diced tomatoes with green chilies
  • 3 (8 oz) cans tomato sauce
  • 1/2 cup water or beef broth
  • 2 tablespoons chili powder
  • 2.5 teaspoons ground cumin
  • 2 teaspoons paprika
  • 2 teaspoons cocoa powder
  • 1 teaspoon granulated sugar
  • 1/2 teaspoon ground coriander
  • Salt and freshly ground black pepper, to taste
  • 1 (15 oz) can dark red kidney beans, drained and rinsed
  • 1 (15 oz) can light red kidney beans, drained and rinsed



Ready?




  1. Heat olive oil in a large and deep non-stick skillet over medium-high heat. 
  2. Once oil is hot, add onion and saute 3 minutes, then add garlic and saute 30 seconds longer. 
  3. Pour onions into a 6 or 7 quart slow cooker.
  4. Return skillet to medium-high heat, add beef and cook stirring occasionally until beef has browned. 
  5. Drain most of fat from beef, leaving about 2 tablespoons in with the beef. 
  6. Pour browned beef into slow cooker.
  7. Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, 1/2 cup water or beef broth, chili powder, cumin, paprika, cocoa powder, sugar, coriander and season mixture with salt and pepper to taste. 
  8. Stir mixture, cover with lid and cook on low heat for 5 to 6 hours.
  9. Stir in dark and light red kidney beans and allow to heat through, about 10 minutes. 
  10. Serve warm with desired toppings. 
  11. Enjoy!






Thank you for joining me tonight. Stay warm where ever you are in the world. I'll be back soon, so stay tuned to see what we have in store for you! Happy blogging and I'll catch you on the flip side.


~Mandie