Wednesday, January 7, 2015

Oatmeal Cream Pies

Good evening my lovelies! It's been a long couple of days. Yesterday while at work, our tire blew in the middle of two major highways. It was slightly scary because San Antonio drivers are awful at driving... I'm not joking either. The horrible day seemed to drag on... We got out of work late, which was fine. We love where we work! That wasn't the other horrible part. When I got home, I was dog tired, about to post a blog entry and BOOM! My internet decided to go out on me. I was super bummed, but I'm back with the recipe I was going to share initially. Now, after many attempts at trying to breach my own blog, I present to y'all:



Oatmeal Cream Pies
Yields 14 Pies



You will need:


For the Cookies:

  • 1.25 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 1 cup dark brown sugar
  • 1/2 cup granulated sugar
  • 1 large egg
  • 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 tablespoon dark molasses
  • 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1/2 teaspoon salt
  • 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
  • 3 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats (NOT whole-rolled oats)


For the Cream Filling: 

  • 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
  • 3 cups powdered sugar
  • 3 tablespoons heavy cream
  • 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • pinch of salt, as needed



Ready?





  1. For the cookies: With a stand or handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed until light and creamy. 
  2. Add egg, vanilla, and molasses, scraping down the sides as needed. 
  3. Set aside.
  4. In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves. 
  5. Whisk it all around. 
  6. Add the quick oats and combine.
  7. With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients. 
  8. Preheat oven to 375 degrees. 
  9. Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat. 
  10. Drop dough with a large cookie scoop, or make sure each ball of dough is 3 tablespoons in measurement. 
  11. Cookies will spread in the oven, so drop each ball of dough 2 inches apart.
  12. Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden around the edges. 
  13. Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
  14. For the filling: With a stand or handheld mixer, beat butter for about 1 minute until creamy. 
  15. Add the powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes. 
  16. Pour in heavy cream and vanilla extract. 
  17. Mix on high for 3 to 4 minutes until fluffy. 
  18. Taste and add a pinch or two of salt, as needed. 
  19. If filling is way too thick, add a couple more teaspoons of heavy cream. Spread 1.5 tablespoons of cream filling on the bottom side of half of cookies; top with remaining cookies, right side up.
  20. Enjoy!





Okay ladies and gentlemen, provided my internet connection decides to stay up, I should be back fairly soon. I am thinking about posting another entry tomorrow due to the fact that I'm feeling a little behind because of all of the delays I've encountered lately, so stay tuned. I'll see y'all soon, and happy blogging to all!



~Mandie