Oatmeal Cream Pies
Yields 14 Pies
You will need:
For the Cookies:
- 1.25 cups unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 1 cup dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 large egg
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 tablespoon dark molasses
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
- 3 cups uncooked quick-cooking oats (NOT whole-rolled oats)
For the Cream Filling:
- 3/4 cup unsalted butter, softened to room temperature
- 3 cups powdered sugar
- 3 tablespoons heavy cream
- 1.5 teaspoons vanilla extract
- pinch of salt, as needed
- For the cookies: With a stand or handheld mixer, cream the butter and sugars together at medium speed until light and creamy.
- Add egg, vanilla, and molasses, scraping down the sides as needed.
- Set aside.
- In a medium-sized bowl, combine the flour, baking soda, salt, cinnamon, and cloves.
- Whisk it all around.
- Add the quick oats and combine.
- With the mixer running on low, slowly add the dry ingredients to wet ingredients.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees.
- Line a large cookie sheet with parchment paper or nonstick baking mat.
- Drop dough with a large cookie scoop, or make sure each ball of dough is 3 tablespoons in measurement.
- Cookies will spread in the oven, so drop each ball of dough 2 inches apart.
- Bake for 10 minutes, until cookies are lightly golden around the edges.
- Allow cookies to cool on cookie sheet for 3 minutes before transferring to a wire rack to cool completely.
- For the filling: With a stand or handheld mixer, beat butter for about 1 minute until creamy.
- Add the powdered sugar and mix on medium speed for 1 to 2 minutes.
- Pour in heavy cream and vanilla extract.
- Mix on high for 3 to 4 minutes until fluffy.
- Taste and add a pinch or two of salt, as needed.
- If filling is way too thick, add a couple more teaspoons of heavy cream. Spread 1.5 tablespoons of cream filling on the bottom side of half of cookies; top with remaining cookies, right side up.
Okay ladies and gentlemen, provided my internet connection decides to stay up, I should be back fairly soon. I am thinking about posting another entry tomorrow due to the fact that I'm feeling a little behind because of all of the delays I've encountered lately, so stay tuned. I'll see y'all soon, and happy blogging to all!