Hey foodies and friends! I'm taking a quick moment to write this post. The past couple of days, every member of my family has been sick with some sort of illness. I haven't had too long of for down time between making sure that everyone is situated and have everything they need.
This inspired me to want to make them comfort food. Usually when someone is ill, you feed them chicken noodle soup, or some other soup. I would rather make a cassoulet. It's cheap, hearty, and I would think it would make sick loved ones feel better, however, it takes a total of 12 hours to make. So, quickly, let's gather the items we need, get into the kitchen, and whip us up some feel good food. Allons-y!
Sausage and Kale Cassoulet
Yields 4 Servings
You will need:
- ½ lb. dry great northern beans
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 4 cloves garlic
- ½ lb. sweet Italian sausage
- 1 whole bay leaf
- ½ tsp thyme
- ½ tsp oregano
- ½ tsp rosemary
- 1 (15 ounce) can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 bunch kale
- Pick through the dry beans to remove any stones, debris, or bad beans.
- Place them in a bowl and cover with cool water.
- Let soak in the refrigerator overnight.
- The next day, chop the onion and peel the garlic cloves.
- Place both in the bottom of a slow cooker.
- Drain off the beans, rinse them briefly, and add them to the slow cooker as well.
- Place two sausage links on top of the beans and add the bay leaf, thyme, oregano, and rosemary.
- Pour the can of diced tomatoes and chicken broth over top of everything.
- Place the lid on the slow cooker, turn the heat on to high, and cook for 4 hours.
- After four hours, the beans should be tender.
- Remove the bay leaf.
- Tear the kale leaves from their stems and tear them into small pieces.
- Place the torn leaves in a colander and rinse well.
- Stir the kale into the slow cooker until it has wilted down.
- Remove the sausage, slice into pieces, and then return them to the slow cooker.
- Taste the cassoulet and add salt and pepper if desired.
- Serve hot.
Okay ladies and gents. I apologize if I am not around this week. Seriously, we've got colds and bronchitis floating around. I'll be back as soon as possible though. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!