Friday, October 4, 2013

Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats


Hey foodies and friends! It's been a few days since I was able to post an entry. I'm still looking after my sister, who has bronchitis, as well as my husband who is recovering (very slowly) from some sort of cold. It's been a long week chock full of sick family members and coughing.

I figured, since I have a break between checking on them, I might as well post something tasty. The last entry I posted was a cassoulet, with hopes of making them feel better. Tonight, we're taking a sweet approach because we all know that sugar always perks people up, right? You betcha. We will be making pumpkin spice rice krispies treats. Let's grab those aprons, and I will meet you in the kitchen. See you there!





Pumpkin Spice Rice Krispies Treats
Yield 1 Dozen





You will need:



  • 3 tablespoons unsalted butter
  • 1/4 cup canned pumpkin puree
  • 1 (10 ounce) bag mini marshmallows plus one cup
  • 1/4 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
  • 1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
  • Pinch of allspice
  • Pinch of freshly grated nutmeg
  • Pinch of kosher salt
  • 6 cups crispy rice cereal




Ready?






  1. Butter a 9x13-inch baking dish.
  2. In a heavy saucepan or Dutch oven, melt butter over medium-low heat. 
  3. Add the pumpkin puree and continue to cook until it is warmed through. 
  4. Fold in 10 ounces of the marshmallows, stirring frequently until almost completely melted. 
  5. Stir in vanilla, cinnamon, allspice, nutmeg, and salt, and remove from heat.
  6. Allow the marshmallow mixture to cool 10 minutes; fold in the remaining cup of marshmallows. 
  7. Continue to cool the mixture for another 20 to 25 minutes until it is room temperature (failure to cool the mixture will result in soggy rice crispy treats.) 
  8. Add the puffed rice cereal and stir, using a silicone spatula, until combined.
  9. Press the mixture into the greased rectangular baking dish. 
  10. Let set for 30 minutes before cutting and serving.



Okay ladies and gents, I'll be back as soon as possible. I hope my family is feeling better come this weekend. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!