Tuesday, October 15, 2013

Chicken Tamale Pie


Hey foodies and friends. I've been a bit under the weather lately, hence my absence. I'm not sure if it's just a common cold or something else, but I've been down in the dumps. I need a pick me up, and right now, I'm really feeling tamales. They are my go-to food when I can afford them.

Tonight's dinner is a cheaper, easier alternative to cooking for hours on end. This recipe takes approximately 45 minutes and feeds roughly 8 people. I'm going to wrap this up because I'm just about ready to lay back down (which is all I've been doing for the past few days). I invite you into the kitchen with me. I hope to see you there.





Chicken Tamale Pie
Serves 8





You will need:



  • ⅓ cup fat free milk
  • ¼ cup egg substitute
  • 1½ tablespoon taco seasoning, divided
  • ¼ teaspoon ground red pepper
  • 1 (14¾ ounce) can cream-style corn
  • 1 (8.5 ounce) box corn muffin mix
  • 1 (4 ounce) can chopped green chiles, drained
  • 1 (10 ounce) can red enchilada sauce
  • 2 cups shredded cooked chicken breast
  • ¾ cup shredded white cheese
  • cilantro and crumbled Cotija cheese for topping




Ready?






  1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
  2. Combine the first 7 ingredients (milk through green chiles), using just ½ tablespoon of the taco seasoning, in a large bowl, stirring just until moist. 
  3. Pour mixture into a round pie plate coated with cooking spray.
  4. Bake for 20-30 minutes. 
  5. While corn is baking, toss the chicken in the remaining 1 tablespoon taco seasoning. 
  6. When corn is done – it will be just barely set and golden brown – pierce entire surface liberally with a fork. 
  7. Pour enchilada sauce over top. 
  8. Top with chicken; sprinkle with cheese. 
  9. Bake for 15 minutes more or until cheese melts. 
  10. Remove from oven; let stand 5 minutes. 
  11. Cut into 8 pieces; top each serving with cilantro and Cotija cheese.




Okay guys and gals. I'll be back as soon as I'm feeling a bit better. I'm really sorry for the lack of updates lately. Have a great day, and happy blogging to all!