You will need:
- 1 cup pimento-stuffed green olives, crushed
- 1/2 cup drained kalamata olives, crushed
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped pickled cauliflower florets
- 2 tablespoons drained capers
- 1 tablespoon chopped celery
- 1 tablespoon chopped carrot
- 1/2 cup pepperoncini, drained
- 1/4 cup marinated cocktail onions
- 1/2 teaspoon celery seed
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 3/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/4 cup red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup canola oil
- 2 (1 pound) loaves Italian bread
- 8 ounces thinly sliced Genoa salami
- 8 ounces thinly sliced cooked ham
- 8 ounces sliced mortadella
- 8 ounces sliced mozzarella cheese
- 8 ounces sliced provolone cheese
Are you ready?
- To Make the Olive Salad: In a medium bowl, combine the green olives, kalamata olives, garlic, cauliflower, capers, celery, carrot, pepperoncini, cocktail onions, celery seed, oregano, basil, black pepper, vinegar, olive oil and canola oil.
- Mix together and transfer the mixture into a glass jar (or other nonreactive container).
- If needed, pour in more oil to cover.
- Cover the jar or container and refrigerate overnight.
- To Make the Sandwiches: Cut the loaves of bread in half horizontally;, then hollow out some of the excess bread to make room for the filling.
- Spread each piece of bread with equal amounts of the olive salad, including oil.
- Layer the bottom half of each loaf with 1/2 of the salami, ham, mortadella, mozzarella and Provolone.
- Place top half on each loaf and cut the sandwich into quarters.
- Serve immediately, or wrap tightly and refrigerate for a few hours.
When you finally see just how big this sandwich is, you can truly appreciate it. This dish is not for the faint of heart. It's a beast. I hope to see you again for more fun recipes. Happy blogging to all! <3