You will need:
- 1.5 cups sugar
- 1.25 cups water
- 1/4 cup light corn syrup
- 1 cup baking cocoa
- 1/2 cup heavy whipping cream
- 5 ounces semisweet chocolate, chopped
- Strawberries, banana chunks, apple slices and angel food cake cubes
- In a small saucepan, bring the sugar, water and corn syrup to a boil.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 20 minutes, stirring frequently.
- In a small bowl, combine the cocoa, cream, and half of the syrup mixture until smooth.
- Return to the pan.
- Bring to a boil, stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat and simmer, uncovered, for 5 minutes.
- Stir in the chopped chocolate until melted.
- Serve warm with fruit and cake for dipping.
- Refrigerate the leftovers.
We are now moving on to our main dish...
Artichoke Beef Steaks
You will need:
- 1 jar marinated artichoke hearts
- 4 beef ribeye steaks
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 tablespoons butter
- 1 small onion, sliced and separated into rings
- 1 garlic clove, minced
- 1 jar sliced pimientos, drained
- Drain the artichokes, reserving 1 tablespoon marinade. Coarsely chop the artichokes and set aside.
- Sprinkle the steaks with salt.
- In a large skillet, cook the steaks in butter over medium-high heat for 4 minutes on each side or until the meat reaches desired doneness according to a meat thermometer.
- Move the steaks to a serving platter and keep warm.
- In the same skillet, saute the onion and garlic in the reserved marinade for 3 minutes.
- Add the artichokes and pimientos and heat through.
- Serve the artichoke mixture on top of the steaks.
- medium-rare, 145 degrees
- medium, 160 degrees
- well-done, 170 degrees
Finally, we end this night with some dessert.
You will need:
- 3 egg whites
- 1/4 teaspoon cream of tartar
- 3/4 cup sugar
FOR THE FILLING:
- 1 package cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup confectioners' sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream, whipped
- 1 can cherry pie filling
- Place the egg whites in a small bowl and let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes.
- Add the cream of tartar, then beat on medium speed in a processor until soft peaks form.
- Gradually beat in the sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time, on high until stiff glossy peaks form and the sugar is dissolved.
- Spoon the meringue onto a parchment paper-lined baking sheet.
- Using the back of a spoon, form the meringue into a 9 inch heart shape, building up edges slightly.
- Bake at 275 degrees for 1.5 hours.
- Turn the oven off and do not open the door.
- Leave the meringue in the oven for 1 hour longer to sit. Remove from the oven and cool completely.
- In a small bowl, beat the cream cheese, confectioners' sugar and vanilla until smooth.
- Fold in the whipped cream until the mixture is well blended.
- To serve, place the heart on a serving platter and fill with the cream cheese mixture.
- Top with the pie filling.
Thank you for joining me for an extra special entry to Everyday Meals. Come back soon for more recipes! Have a lovely Valentine's Day and I'll catch you on the flip side. Happy blogging to all! <3